| California Dreams |
32 caramel candies
1/3 cup evaporated milk
1/2 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup dark brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup rolled oats
4 Tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
6 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In the top of a double boiler, combine caramels and milk. Heat over simmering water until melted, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and set aside.
3. Sift together flour, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl. Stir in brown sugar and oats. Mix in butter until mixture forms coarse crumbs.
4. Press 1/2 of the flour mixture evenly into a buttered 8-inch square pan. The layer will be fairly thin. Sprinkle chocolate chips and pecans over surface evenly. Pour caramel mixture over chocolate chips and nuts. Sprinkle with remaining flour mixture.
5. Bake for 20 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool. Refrigerate until set, then cut into squares.
YIELDS: 16 squares
| Oven Caramel Popcorn |
Popcorn (to equal 8 to 9 quarts popped)
2 cups brown sugar
1 cup margarine
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon soda
Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Pop popcorn to equal 8 to 9 quarts. Bring brown sugar, margarine, salt, syrup and vanilla to a boil. Continue to boil for 5 minutes. Add baking soda, stir and quickly pour over the popped corn, coating well. Bake on two cookie sheets for 1 hour, stirring 3 times. Store in tightly closed tins.
YIELDS: 8 ? 9 quarts
Note: Note: Nuts may be added to the popcorn mixture.
| Cranberry Tart |
2 cups fresh cranberries, chopped
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
1-1/2 cups sugar
1 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup (1-1/2 sticks) butter, melted
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon grated orange zest
1/4 teaspoon orange extract
Combine the cranberries, walnuts and 1/2 cup of the sugar in a bowl and mix well. Pat the cranberry mixture into a buttered 10-inch springform pan.
Combine the remaining 1 cup sugar, flour and salt in a bowl and mix well. Stir in the butter, eggs, orange zest and flavoring. Pour the batter over the cranberry mixture. Place the springform pan on a baking sheet with sides.
Bake at 350 degrees for 40 to 45 minutes. Cool in the pan on a wire rack. Remove the pan cuff when the tart cools. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Serve on a cake pedestal.
Hint: Do you know how to tell if a cranberry is ripe? Try dropping a few on your counter. If they bounce, then they are ripe.
Page(s) 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10