| A Big Bowl of Red |
1 tbl canola oil
1 lrg yellow onion, diced
1 x green bell pepper, seeded and diced
1 x red bell pepper, seeded and diced
1 cup sliced celery
2 x cloves garlic, minced
28 oz canned crushed tomatoes
16 oz canned red kidney beans
15 oz canned stewed tomatoes, diced
3 tsp chili powder, up to 4
1 tbl dried oregano
2 1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp salt
1 tsp bottled hot sauce, up to 2
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
* MAKES 4 TO 6 SERVINGS. VEGAN
* This chili exhibits the quintessential qualities of traditional chili without the meat. It is thick, highly seasoned and very satisfying.
* Heat oil in large saucepan. Add onion, bell peppers, celery and garlic. Saute until vegetables are tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Stir in crushed tomatoes, beans, stewed tomatoes and seasonings; bring to a simmer. Cook uncovered over low heat, stirring occasionally, 25 to 30 minutes. Remove from heat; let stand 8 to 10 minutes before serving.
* Ladle chili into bowls. Serve with toppings such as shredded low-fat cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese, chopped scallions, chopped red onion or fresh tomato salsa, and warm cornbread or whole wheat bread if desired.
* Makes 4 to 6
| Barbecued Vegetables |
red/yellow peppers, whole
courgettes, sliced in half lengthways
aubergine, thickly sliced
sweet potatoes, thickly sliced
onions, cut in half
75 ml olive oil
1 lrg clov garlic, crushed
30 ml mixed summer herbs, finely chopped
salt and freshly ground black pepper
* 1. In a screw top jar combine the marinade ingredients together, shaking well.
* 2. Brush the vegetables with the marinade and leave to one side for at least half an hour to enable the flavours to develop.
* 3. Before barbecuing brush the vegetable pieces once again with the marinade and sprinkle over some extra seasoning.
* 4. Barbecue over a grill, turning frequently.
* 5. Alternatively, pierce each whole vegetable with a fork, place on a square of foil, add 2tbsp of marinade, wrap the square of foil around the vegetable and cook in the coals until soft.
| Barbecued Vegetables with Peanut Sauce |
1 med Pepper, any colour
1 lrg Carrot
2 1/2 x Florets cauliflower
1 x Chunky onion or shallots
1 tsp Garlic powder
1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
1 1/2 tsp Salt
1 tsp Sugar
2 tbl Oil
146 gm Peanuts, roasted and blended
1/4 tsp Cumin powder
1/4 tsp Coriander powder
1/2 tsp Chilli powder
1 1/2 tbl Water
3 tbl Sugar
1/2 tsp Salt
* Peanut sauce: Add all the spices and peanuts, water, salt and sugar.
* Keep stirring into a thick and tasty sauce.
* Clean and rinse the vegetables and cut into bite sized pieces. Mix vegetables with garlic, turmeric, salt, sugar and oil. Skewer the vegetables and barbecue, dip into sauce and serve.
Page(s) 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18