| Risotto with Shrimp Eggplant |
7 tbl Olive oil
1 x Shallot, minced
2 cup Pearl barley
8 cup Vegetable stock
3 x Japanese eggplant
10 lrg shrimp, peeled cut 4 piec
1/4 cup Grated pecorino cheese
* In a large saucepan, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat. Add shallot and cook, stirring, until translucent. Add barley; stir to coat with the oil. Reduce heat to medium. Continue cooking barley, stirring occasionally, for 2-3 minutes; take care not to let it brown. While barley is cooking, bring vegetable stock to a boil. Add vegetable stock to barley, a cup at time. Cook, stirring frequently, until liquid is almost absorbed before adding more liquid. Keep adding liquid, stirring frequently until barley pearls are al dente, about 45 minutes. Meanwhile, cut eggplant into 1/2-inch cubes. Heat 4 tablespoons of oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Saute eggplant, stirring frequently, until soft, about 12 minutes. Set aside. Using skillet in which eggplant was cooked, add remaining tablespoon of oil. Saute shrimp until pink. When barley is done, stir in eggplant and shrimp. Add grated pecorino cheese. Serve.
* Odette Fada, Rex Il Restaurante, Los Angeles Fada's barley risotto is easy to make. It's a great way to offer the luxury of shellfish. Because the shrimp is cut into pieces, you only a half-pound of it to make risotto for 6-8 people. Despite the shrimp, this dish is predominantly grain. It's high in complex carbohydrates and fiber, and low in fat. But it's so exciting that one hesitates to label it with the stigma of "healthy eating." Best of all, here's a dish that fits the proverbial champagne taste on a beer budget; in total, ingredients for this risotto cost about $10. Add a salad and a cheese course and you can feed a small dinner party for about $5 a head.
| Vegetable Chowder |
2 x 14 1/2 oz cans vegetable broth
2/3 cup barley
vegetable cooking spray
2 sm onions, chopped
1 x leek, sliced
2 x cloves garlic, minced
1 cup fresh or frozen lima beans
1 cup fresh or frozen whole-kernel corn
1 cup cabbage, finely chopped
2 med carrots, sliced
1 tsp savory
1/2 tsp thyme
1 x bay leaf
2 tbl flour
1 cup skim milk
# Heat 1/2 can of vegetable broth to boil in small saucepan; stir in barley and let stand 15-30 minutes.
# Spray large saucepan with cooking spray; heat over medium heat until hot.
# Saute onions, leek, and garlic until tender, about 5 minutes. Add remaining vegetables and herbs; saute 2-3 minutes. Add remaining 1 1/2 cans broth and broth and barley mixture; heat to boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until barley is tender, about 20 minutes.
# Heat soup to boil. Mix flour and milk and stir into soup. Boil, stirring constantly, until thickened. Discard bay leaf.
| Vegetable Pilaf |
2 cup Pearled Barley soaked in 4 C water overnite
1 cup Mushrooms optional
2/3 cup Zucchini sliced
1 x Onion chopped
3/4 cup Carrots sliced
1 tsp Thyme
1 tsp Sage
Salt And Pepper to taste
* We had this for breakfast this am but you may prefer it for dinner or lunch.
* In the AM, cover, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for about 20 - 30 minutes.
* Makes enough for several meals.
* Obviously, use whatever veggies you prefer. I like to season it with vegetarian chicken flavor broth mix, but I am out. Add more broth and you have a great soup!
Page(s) 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18