| Vegetable Soup |
1/2 cup Pearl barley
3 can (10.75 oz) chicken broth, strained
3 can Water
1 sm Onion, cut in fourths
1 x Carrot, cut into thirds
1 stalk celery, cut into 1" slices
1 tsp Thyme
1 x Bay leaf
Freshly ground black pepper
5 x Carrots, sliced
2 stalk celery, sliced
1/2 x Zucchini, sliced
1/2 cup Onion, chopped
2 cup Fresh spinach, chopped
* Place barley, chicken stock, onion quarters, carrot thirds, celery slices, thyme, and bay leaf in a large soup pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for about 1 hour or until barley is tender. Add sliced carrots, celery, zucchini, and chopped onion and cook until tender. Add spinach a few minutes before serving.
* NOTES : A hearty soup that improves as it ages. Make it in the morning or the night before so it will have time to thicken.
| Peppers and Potatoes |
6 lrg Poblano peppers, sliced
2 med Onions, chopped
1 tbl Olive oil, or vegetable oil
2 1/2 lb Russet potatoes, unpeeled, cooked, cubed
2 cup Cooked barley
2 tbl Finely chopped cilantro leaves
1 tsp Dried cumin
Salt & cayenne to taste
* Saute peppers & onions in oil in large skillet until crisp tender, about 5 minutes. Add potatoes;, saute until browned, 5-8 minutes. Add barley to skillet; cook over medium heat until hot through, 3-4 minutes. Stir in cilantro & cumin. Season to taste with salt & pepper.
* Makes 4 servings.
| Sun-Dried Tomatoes and Scallions |
3 tbl Unsalted butter
1 1/2 cup Barley
1 med Bunch scallions (white &
Green portions), thin slice
10 x Oil-packed sun-dried tomato
Halves, sliced 1/4" thick
1 1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Freshly ground pepper
4 1/2 cup Boiling water
* Melt the butter in a medium saucepan. Add the barley and cook over high heat for 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the scallions and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add the sun-dried tomatoes, salt and pepper.
* Stir in the boiling water and return to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the barley is chewy, 35 to 40 minutes.
* Serve with the roast veal and the sauteed broccoli rabe.
Page(s) 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18